Ditch exhausting workouts and try taking a walk every day. A 20-30 minute walk per day provides numerous physical and mental health benefits. Reduce stress and invest in long-term health while enjoying some fresh air.
Health Benefits of Walking:
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Increases oxygen flow, as well as epinephrine, norepinephrine, and cortisol– all of which contribute to higher energy levels
- Protects joints by strengthening supporting muscles
- Maintains healthy body weight by burning calories (numbers dependent on speed, terrain, and the walker’s body type)
- Boosts immune system and decreases risk and symptoms of colds and respiratory tract infections
- Reduces risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer
- Reduces stress levels and encourages creative thinking, mindfulness, and relaxation
Walkers will receive maximum benefits by using the proper form. Maximize time spent on the path with a few tips
Proper Walking Form:
- Make sure spine is aligned and refrain from leaning forward or backward
- Focus on a point 20 feet ahead to prevent added stress to the neck and spine
- Relax shoulders and breathe evenly to reduce stress
- Place pressure on the heel first, and then roll off the toe
Now it’s time to hit the trails with proper form and gain all the benefits that walking has to offer.